Saturday, October 9, 2010

Yoga

10/09 Bismillah

6:30 am
In two hours we need to leave to take the children to a sister’s house to babysit them, and then it’s to Cheraga to teach my private corporate student.  After that, perhaps I will need to walk from the corporate office to Hopeland for Teacher Training, and then I will be done for the day – at least in terms of paid work, insha’Allah.

I did yoga yesterday and the day before, masha’Allah.  I had intended to continue to do yoga even while fasting – and I did for a couple of days, but it was too difficult for me in the end.  Somehow between the heat, the cooking and all those kids it was just too much. Anyhow, alhumdullilah, I have started again. 

I had always intended to resume my practice, but what finally kicked me into it was my own body.  I had been experiencing a lot of water retention, and, to make it worse, the skin on my ankles where most of the excess fluid was, started to itch.  I cannot help being middle-aged, and my body is going to do what it’s going to do – but if exercising will help to keep this problem under control it’s worth it, insha’Allah.

I’ve lost a lot of ground physically in the last two months.  I’m very tired after a half an hour’s work-out, and it’s physically very difficult still, whereas right before Ramadan I would hardly even be tired even though I had been exercising in the heat.  I’ve lost the ability to balance as well as I used to be able to, and I’m not as flexible, but I haven’t gone all the way back, alhumdullilah.  When I first started yoga in March or April I would be completely knackered after just a quarter of the practice and at least I am able to get all the way through masha’Allah, though by the end I’m literally shaking.

Today, when I get home from work, insha’Allah, it’s back to it.  Really, I have to.  I’m a bit concerned as to how I will get yoga into my schedule if and when I start teaching at the Academy, but that worry is putting the cart before the horse.  Maybe I’ll just have to get up even earlier, although I won’t be as flexible at an early hour.  I’m not holding my breath about the Academy, anyhow.

It’s time for me to get ready to go insha’Allah.

I’m back, obviously, but was too tired this afternoon and evening to exercise.  Insha’Allah, tomorrow.
It’s been frustrating today because the Internet totally hasn’t worked.  The Internet honestly has been such a life-line for me that I feel really cut off without it.  On the other hand, I do have to admit that it’s probably really good for me to not always have access to it.  This evening I played dominos with my kids for a little while and then just now I finished working on Arabic masha’Allah.  The Rosetta Stone  software really seems good, though how much it will help me with production I don’t know.  Still, if my understanding and comfort level can increase that’s all for the good insha’Allah.  Although I wouldn’t like to tell her, I feel more comfortable learning this way then with the teachers I’ve had.  They’ve both been really sweet, but there was always this sort of performance anxiety I had.  I don’t like to embarrass myself, and learning a language involves a high level of that, really.  I like to learn in private, totally at my own pace where I can go as slowly as I want to and review as much as I’d like.  At least now I know.  The problem is that the computer cannot help me with my pronunciation, and I know that pronunciation is a serious weak point for me.  Alhumdullilah, at least I am doing what I can insha’Allah.

As I reread what I have written I think I will mop my floor, put on DH’s shorts and force myself to do yoga.  That’s nuts, isn’t it, but I’m afraid if I continue to not follow through then I will just stop all together with could be deadly for me, really.  Although I am very tired, after just two days I am feeling better with much less swelling in my legs and absolutely no itching.  I think I have to force myself insha’Allah.

It’s humid, though.  Ugh.  That  means sweaty!